Three times in the last five months I have heard a member of my family diagnosed with this. The first time was in June, last month it was my Dad, and today it was my husband. In each case the diagnoses is considered Adult Onset, Type 2, non-insulin type.
I did not know I had a family history of diabetes; neither set of grandparents had it. It was only after my dad told me about it that he said he did a little research to discover that a grandfather one side of his family, and a grandgrandmother on the other had the disease. Now because my dad has it, I am at higher risk of getting it. Our family doctor recommended today that I get my glucose checked every year.
Today's diagnosis starts a modified lifestyle for us. While we don't have a bad diet, we certainly don't have an ideal diet. We are vegetarian, which is good, but my husband does love his pasta which is bad. The pop bottle very seldom makes it's way into our house which is good, but I think he drinks a little more soda at work then he should, and that's bad.
Fortunately friends have shared valuable information, and the Internet has provided more. A check with the insurance company shows we have excellent coverage in this area, so that won't be a worry.
I am not in a state of shock; I'm passed that. But prayers, as always are welcomed.
No comments:
Post a Comment