I am playing host to three of Tony’s best friends this evening. Tony has been excited all week over their visit, and their arrival brought a howl, thump and bang this house hasn’t heard in a long time. The four kids tumbled down the stairs, and after a quick tour of “school” it was time to rough house. As much as I cringed at the body bruising sounds, I let them play for a bit. Tony needed the time to be with his friends, and I needed the break from Tony to finish a newsletter, to catch up on the weather, and to send a few emails.
In the meantime, the mother of these kids is elsewhere attending a ceremony where she is finally becoming a US citizen.
I wonder what the feels like, moving from one country to another, and declaring my allegiance to a country other than where I was born and raised. I guess it would all depend on the circumstances surrounding my arrival into the adopted country.
Have any of you migrated from another country to become a US citizen?
No comments:
Post a Comment