Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Did we make the right choice?

Ok, we are about 13 days into the school year. I know, I know, we have another 157 days about to the end of the year, but at this moment, I am evaluating if Angelo and I made the right decision regarding Tony's schooling.

I was up until nearly midnight last night (OK it's nearly midnight now, but I'm reading blogs tonight!) searching, printing, coloring, cutting and taping stuff up to the whiteboards and walls just so Tony will be able to do the same things the kids on the DVD's are doing.

Angelo admitted that he's been a little resentful at the invasion of "his" space, but realizes that it's just a matter of getting used to the new arrangements.

I asked him tonight if going this route for Tony's education was what he expected, and he replied that it was a lot more involved then he thought. But after giving it some consideration, he told me that all things considered, he would make the same decision again next year.

What did we consider? money, teachers as authority figures versus parents as authority figures, interaction time, quality of program, attitude, frustration, sucess.

We feel that the quality of the program is very well worth the cost, my frustration level is down, Tony's good attitude about learning is up, he's learning a lot, is interacting well, and is very sucessful in what he is learning. Having another teacher as the authority figure keeps Tony respectful and eager to do his work.

Yep, we made the right decision for Tony this year.

No comments: