This past weekend, I wrote some thoughts down in my journal about my grandmother, but those thoughts matured into a tribute this morning. In fact, when I woke up I had one line running through my head, "Grandma got it right." Got what right? That's what I had to figure out. What follows is my tribute to my Grandmother R.
Nana and Grandma got it rightWhen I was a young girl, my two sets of grandparents were completely different. Nana and Papa lived in California, so I didn’t get to see them but maybe once a year or less. Nana didn’t mince words; if I was getting out of line, she told me, and in my own childish way, I appreciated it. If I could describe Nana, it would be no ruffles on her apron. To be honest, I don’t know a lot of history behind Nana and Papa. I wish I did. For in knowing the history, I would value my past and place a greater import on my heritage.
Nana and Grandma got it right
Whenever we visited Grandma and Grandpa Radke, Grandma wore the ruffled apron of hospitality. Not always comfortable with it, I sometimes chaffed under its properness. But somewhere in the teas, light meals and mint jelly, Grandma helped to show the way of true hospitality, kindness, graciousness and generosity.
Grandma got it right.
Grandma, I believe, had a since of history. She didn’t grow up in the US, though she was born in Iowa. A missionary’s child in India, she was careful to value her experiences and write up her memories in a small book. She collected childhood school books of Indian history and social life; marked pictures of her family and dwellings found in early church history books, and brought with her the giving spirit of those who served her family.
Because Grandma got it right,
I have greatly appreciated the value Grandma had of her history and heritage she passed on to our family. I discovered recently Grandma kept a journal, as do I. Throughout her life she shared in public documents a life committed in service to others, of raising a family who believed in God, and a devotion to His will. One of the most important treasures Grandma left me was her “black book.” In it I find typed and handwritten notes; gems from the Bible, and E.G. White, and thought provoking questions leading to the understanding of salvation. Grandma knew the Bible; she knew how to live a life that was Christ-like. I think in Grandma’s passing, her giving became complete. For in her passing I now understand the life she lived.
Nana and Grandma got it right.
Because both sets of grandparents were strong believers in God, their heritage the most important heritage of all, was passed down to my parents, and from my parents to my brother and I. That heritage continues as my brother and sister-in-law raise their daughter, and my husband and I raise our son.
Grandma, thank you so much for your unceasing love, and devotion to God. I only hope one day to get it as right as you did. I love you so very much.
No comments:
Post a Comment