Duran Family

Duran Family

Monday, July 12, 2004

Perseverance pays off

A couple years ago, Angelo purchased a train simulator program for his computer. He thought it was something he and Tony would enjoy playing with together. He had it installed for a while, but it was really too big for the system, and Tony was too young.

It’s a couple years later, the computer is different, Tony is older so the Train program went back on last night. It really is a rather technical program, but Tony was so excited about it he persevered. Tony ran up and down the stairs all day long to give me the latest status report on his progress. He figured out where the breaks where, were the horn was.

And “Mommy!!! Mommy!!! I got the train to move backward! Come, come you’ve just got to see!” as he grabs my hand and tugs me down the stairs. Sure enough he got that train moving backward. He expertly told me how to move each knob and switch. But soon the trail “derailed” because it ran out of track.

“Mommy, please help me,” he begs as we both try to figure out how to recycle the program. I finally told him he needed Daddy to show him, but he wouldn’t have that.

“It’s OK, Mommy, you go upstairs. I’ll figure it out.” He told me with a wave of his hand.

Pretty soon, “Mommy!!! Mommy!!!! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! THE TRAIN IS GOING FORWARD!” Again there was the anxious tug of the hand as I tumbled down the stairs after him. Sure enough, my five-year-old-child, after spending a good part of the day at the computer with a program designed for older kids and adults figured out how to make the train go forward.

I’m pretty proud of him. He persevered.

No comments: