Duran Family

Duran Family

Friday, June 25, 2004

Taking a walk. OR Memories of a great walk yesterday

Tony and I are headed to the library. Want to join us? It will be a leisurely stroll, perfect for a cooler day like today.

Great, I’m glad you decided to join us. It will help relieve the stress of life. Let me grab my keys, and we’ll head out the side door here.

Ah, the breeze is cool and refreshing as it’s only about 65 degrees right now at 2:30 in the afternoon. Usually around here the high is about 81 degrees. Here’s the intersection. Look down the street there; see all those trees? Those are almost all silver maple. Can you imagine what kind of maple syrup production I could get if I had permission to tap all those? I got almost a hundred gallons of sap (not syrup) from my silver maple two trees right there.

You can see this is an older neighborhood. Many of the houses here are like this one.

I see you discovered the ducks. Yes, we have a drainage pond just behind that house there. The ducks and geese flock to it in the summer time. This guy over here loves the animals and feeds them in his yard. Often times vehicles have to stop to let the line of ducks cross the road to get from the pond to his yard. It’s fun to watch from my west window.

This is a friendly neighborhood. This house up the street there; the occupants were among the first to greet Angelo and I when we moved here. We were out working in the yard when they walked by. We chatted for a bit, and they were excited to see more families with younger children move in.

Let’s turn here. It’s interesting to notice that the style of housing changes a little bit. On this side of the road are the older homes, while over there I can imagine this land used to be a playing field or an empty lot that joined the elementary school down the road. But as you can see, now it’s this type of house.

Ah, here’s the school. A strange looking building, isn’t it? That’s the elementary fine arts school for the city’s district. Here’s a little drainage area with cattails growing. Oh look! There’s a red wing blackboard sitting there. Sounds like he’s singing for a mate. And there’s the pine tree Tony says will be his pretend fort someday. Too bad that tree isn’t in our yard.

OK, let’s turn up here. We’ll pass the underground treatment plant; the city road works department, and the church while walking up this road.

Here’s the main road. Is it clear? Great, let’s cross. There’s the city hall with the police and fire stations. And there’s the library right back there. Nice place this is. I do enjoy living in a community such as this one. Thanks for walking with us. We’ll be headed back in about an hour if you care to join us.

No comments: